A Brief History of the Windham Summit Bible Church
Settlers were in the area almost 50 years prior to building the church house on the summit in 1858. The Windham folks realized they needed a gathering place to worship God together. The land known as Kenyon Hill was leased from Pardon Kenyon and eventually donated. Many folks contributed material, money, and labor. A work bee was held. Logs were gathered, cut and made into lumber for the building. While the church was being constructed, the ladies prepared and served many meals. The total cost to build the church was $1215.00 and it was known as the Wyndham Summit Community Church.
In 1902 the church was renovated. In 1936, the steeple was rebuilt. In 1954, Sunday School rooms were needed so a basement was started. Work was interrupted by hurricane Hazel. The hurricane picked up the church and carried it fifteen feet with the southeast corner resting about eight feet down into the basement. Church members, neighbors, and friends worked together and righted the building, and soon services were held again.
We have a growing church where Jesus Christ is the head, and salvation is proclaimed from the pulpit. Windham Summit Bible Church has always been dedicated to serving the community and giving glory to God.